App viewer discussion

Discuss alternatives to the CAT programs.
Azol

Re: App viewer discussion

Postby Azol » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:37 am

One idea for you to try and pinpoint the slow performance issue scrolling the albums in the list: I believe this is due to album covers resizing that occurs "on the fly". Instead, the DB converter might convert the original images into smaller-sized thumbnails thus eliminating the need for the application to do it in real time.

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:15 pm

For the lists the viewer uses the thumbnails not the full-size. Unfortunately the code is slower on android compared to iOS

Azol

Postby Azol » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:13 am

But does the converted DB already contain the thumbnails or the app has to scale down the original cover images?

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:04 pm

It contains the thumbnails (they are even in the Catraxx DB). I will consider your idea for the size of the DB.

Azol

Postby Azol » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:07 am

Hello!
Did you have any opportunity to further work on this project? Any updates/news?

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:33 pm

I was busy with other things. But actually I had a look at it today and will see whether I make any progress (still struggling with some android oddities).

Are you still using the previous version?

Azol

Postby Azol » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:29 am

I still keep it on my Android tablet. It's a bit slow so I do not rely on it for everyday use, but it's nice to have a full catalog at my disposal everywhere. Basically the performance issue is most important, everything else can wait. Must be something to do with Android system, since you do not experience the same with iOS.

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:24 am

Nice to know. Currently I mainly work on something for my media library but the focus is currently on the Video section. However if things work this will also hold audio and books (kind of lite versions of the FNPRG programs). I also updated the converter to be able to create SQLite and MySQL files so that in the future I can support local and Client/Server things.
But I will get a go on the mobile version in due course. If something is ready for others to have a look at it I will post it here (or should I open a separate thread, Doug?)
Have a great weekend

G.

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Postby DougWilliams » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:58 am

Create a new thread.
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

Return to “Alternatives to the CAT programs”