Before the end of 2017 the board will be down for a brief period of time for an upgrade.
Past experience says less than 30 minutes but I can't predict the future.
Also, there is a high probability that the forum will move to a different host, but that will not happen in 2017.
Thanks,
Doug

App viewer discussion

Discuss alternatives to the CAT programs.
baeckerg

App viewer discussion

Postby baeckerg » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:32 am

I mentioned a purchase or a support to Fredrik a long time a go. To me Catraxx/CatVids/BookCat still work nicely and I am grateful for Fredrik still updating the Internet DLLs.

On the other hand I will start a light-weight version of those programs for myself in 2016 which will work on Windows and OSX and will have a companion product for Tablet/Smartphone (probably read-only on portable devices).

I already created a tablet version for myself and an importer (needs a minimum of 3 clicks, depending on your needs). You can see a demo of the mobile "CatVids" part at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WABt2EQ2qEQ

my 2 questions are:

1) what functionality would you need for a lightweigt version to those products? Do you have a favourite list?
2) what functionality would you need for a tablet / smartphone companion to those products? Do you have a favourite list?

I will watch over the holiday season if anything comes in. You can also mail me at v4cnew (at) gmail.com

Have a merry Christmas period and a happy 2016
Gernot

Azol

Re: Seems self eliminating.. I know..

Postby Azol » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:19 am

Interesting. Most every other program out there seems like a lite version of the corresponding CAT*** one. The single most important feature that is absent from 100% of those is to be able to import every field I utilize in my cataloging - they usually have those set in stone (even the heavyweight MuC). I can't imagine parting with any of the information I took much pain to enter manually.

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:48 pm

MuC?

Azol

Postby Azol » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Music Collector from Collectorz.com

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks - I never got beyond the trial version. What I mean by lite is that I will do something that suits my needs in the first place. one thing is that I want something that opens Catraxx, Catvids and Bookcat files in one program.

One thing I do not need (and that is the only thing missing from my importer) is the formatted notes fields - I am happy with plain text.

My converter converts into SQLite DB files which can be used on all mentioned platforms. Currently my main focus is on the video side, followed by the album side and the books being low on my list.

And to be honest: I love watching movies and listening to music still more than cataloguing :twisted:

Merry Christmas and thanks for all ideas
Gernot (infamous for V4C)

Azol

Postby Azol » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:15 am

This looks very interesting - if it will be possible to open CATraxx (the one I use extensively) database on Android I will be very happy even if it displays only parts of the info - the rest will be on my desktop anyway. Will purchase it in a wink!

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:53 am

Nice to know - any information that would be essential for you on your device? I can post a screenshot of the current state of the Android version - hopefully something to release in January. I you would like to test a current version, I can send you a link to an apk + the converter.

And donations are always welcome :D
Gernot

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:24 am

One more: Would tablet or phone be more important?

Here's two screenshots from the development environment of the album side: still not anything on the details of the tracks
Attachments
2015-12-23_11-22-19.png
2015-12-23_11-22-19.png (84.34 KiB) Viewed 910 times
2015-12-23_11-07-38.png
2015-12-23_11-07-38.png (14.15 KiB) Viewed 910 times

Azol

Postby Azol » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:08 pm

I believe Album should display at least these fields:

Artist
Title
Format
Released
Live
Label
Reissue Date
Notes (even if only in plain text)
Cover images (doh!) - I keep mine in database, not in external files.

Fields for tracks:

Artist
Title
Length
Credits (Author/Conductor/Band/Guest)
Venue/Studio

don't care much for the rest, since it's a mobile version.

The filtering option will be nice - by Album Main Genre at least.

I also think this is more suitable for tablet screens.

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Something more like this (label still missing)? There are splitters between Notes & Tracks so that you can customize it to your needs
Attachments
2015-12-23_17-17-37.png
2015-12-23_17-17-37.png (86.74 KiB) Viewed 898 times

Return to “Alternatives to the CAT programs”