App viewer discussion

Discuss alternatives to the CAT programs.
Azol

Re: Seems self eliminating.. I know..

Postby Azol » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:27 pm

Yes, that's fine. And you can just display "Live" if the checkbox is set in database - display nothing if it's not.

Is there an option to get a simple list where there is one album per row? Like Default Layout in CATraxx.

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:32 pm

Nothing's impossible- may need time. Some things look nicer on the device - will post some screenshots when I am back home.

Would you be interested in a beta apk for testing early next year? Just send me an email

Azol

Postby Azol » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:42 am

Yes, that's about it.
The main reason I am asking for a possibility of a simple list display is most of the CAT*** program users own huge collections and to manage it effectively on underpowered (comparing to desktop PCs) mobile devices there are two reasonable options:

a) bare-bones plain-text list, one item per row
and
b) filters (alphabetical and by the main genre come to mind as most useful ones).

From there you can expand into a full-fledged view with cover images, track lists etc. If you need more ideas I can continue to elaborate, but we're talking the first "bare-bones" version so there is no need to try to do it all at once. It's amazing you have come up with this idea!

P.S. Thanks for your proposition, I will be glad to give it a spin. At the moment the part of my collection that has made its way into CATraxx is about 800+ albums which makes for a 300+ MB database (I also keep images in database so that could explain why the size).

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:16 am

About the same for me, that's why I only use the album image in position 1 to keep size down. Usually it the first loading of the database that takes time, after that it is fairly responsive, even with a 300+ MB Database

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Re: App viewer discussion

Postby DougWilliams » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:25 pm

I am currently using HanDBase on my tablet. It works for the most part but the exporting from CAT, then the importing into the desktop HanDBase application, then syncing between the PC and tablet gets old quick.
And then there's the items where they didn't get imported quite right because of some odd data entry needed for THAT particular item...

I'll use my CATraxx process as that's the most used.
The data I export is Format, Artist, Title, Label, CatalogueNo, YearReleased.
I export based on a filter. Status="Own" and, in the case of CATraxx, whether it is a full album (LP, CD, Cassette, etc) or a single (7-inch, CDSingle, Cassette Single, etc). That will get me two lists, Albums, Singles.
I also create a third export where the Status="Want", which will give me a third CATraxx list. Wants.
So I export/import three times with varying filters to get my three lists.

The main purpose of my three lists is to help prevent me from buying duplicates (and I still end up buying duplicates because I don't look up EVERY thing that catches my eye..I really should).

What I would use is something fast (it's relative I know) and able to filter out what I don't need. When I'm looking a vinyl albums I don't need my 7-inch items and when I'm I'm looking through 7-inch records I don't need to see CDs or LPs.
Also an easy search or, like HanDBase uses, an active filter. As I type the search term it filters down the list to match what I type.

I'll comment more later..got Christmas things to take care of! Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year!
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

baeckerg

one more screenshot

Postby baeckerg » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:08 pm

Found some time to code and that's what it looks like
2015-12-24_15-54-40.png
2015-12-24_15-54-40.png (102.49 KiB) Viewed 531 times

I can cover most of Doug's point with my importer and without Hanbase but my own program. I did not do a lot of of filtering as of yet as I want to keep the full DB with me to avoid buying duplicates and most importantly to find where I located it (that's the favourite part for my daughter).

I will now go into Christmas mode and may be silent for a while but I get back with more detailed response to Doug's and other comments after Christmas.

Merry Christmas everyone
Gernot

PS: Live is only displayed if it is ticked in Catraxx

PS 2: what does your "default layout" look like. maybe you can post the fields you use or send me a screenshot with the headers - I screwed with my default a long time ago and it looks different from the original "default"

Azol

Postby Azol » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:10 am

In my case, the Default Layout is just a simple table with Artist, Title, Release Date and Format columns. It also uses the Main Genre - Artist filter.

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:05 pm

DougWilliams wrote:I am currently using HanDBase on my tablet. It works for the most part but the exporting from CAT, then the importing into the desktop HanDBase application, then syncing between the PC and tablet gets old quick.
And then there's the items where they didn't get imported quite right because of some odd data entry needed for THAT particular item...

I think exporting and syncing will still be required. However the exporter can be enhanced with options. For the oddities you might provide me with examples to see what they look like.

DougWilliams wrote:I'll use my CATraxx process as that's the most used.
The data I export is Format, Artist, Title, Label, CatalogueNo, YearReleased.
I export based on a filter. Status="Own" and, in the case of CATraxx, whether it is a full album (LP, CD, Cassette, etc) or a single (7-inch, CDSingle, Cassette Single, etc). That will get me two lists, Albums, Singles.
I also create a third export where the Status="Want", which will give me a third CATraxx list. Wants.
So I export/import three times with varying filters to get my three lists.

Do you really want 3 exports or rather the appropriate filters on the mobile? A question related to that: how big is your Catraxx DB in MB? I store the images internally and that drives the size. Moving the DB to the mobile space with images is currently the size determining factor.

DougWilliams wrote:The main purpose of my three lists is to help prevent me from buying duplicates (and I still end up buying duplicates because I don't look up EVERY thing that catches my eye..I really should).

I know that feelings (and my wife's comments)

DougWilliams wrote:What I would use is something fast (it's relative I know) and able to filter out what I don't need. When I'm looking a vinyl albums I don't need my 7-inch items and when I'm I'm looking through 7-inch records I don't need to see CDs or LPs.
Also an easy search or, like HanDBase uses, an active filter. As I type the search term it filters down the list to match what I type.

Search and filter is also on my list and doable

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:31 am

Is that what you where thinking of for the "simple Mode"?
2015-12-28_07-27-18.png
2015-12-28_07-27-18.png (47.36 KiB) Viewed 512 times

Azol

Postby Azol » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:29 am

Awesome! Exactly the thing!

Return to “Alternatives to the CAT programs”