MediaMonkey alternative to CATraxx?

Discuss alternatives to the CAT programs.
Salvatore Besso

MediaMonkey alternative to CATraxx?

Postby Salvatore Besso » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:35 pm

hello all,

I resume this old thread to bring to your attention the MediaMonkey program for what concerns music collections. You cand find it here:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

The potentialities of this program appear to be great, but I confess that I have already tried it two times, and at every new try I scratched my head more than the previous time. Sincerely, I'm still not able to understand the mechanisms of this software, what is the database format and where it is located.

For example, with CATraxx it's absolutely easy to get your new shining CD into the database, it's enough to add the CD with CDDB (or manually). With MediaMonkey, I still haven't understood how to do it, nor I have understood their virtual CD stuff.

I also confess that I have just downloaded it again and I'm going to try it for the third time! A good feature (at least) is that you can install it as portable, so it's easy to move it between disks or to get rid of it.

What is your opinion on this possible CATraxx substitute?

Salvatore

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Re: MediaMonkey alternative to CATraxx?

Postby DougWilliams » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:25 pm

As an alternative to CATraxx, it fails.
MediaMonkey requires audio files. Unless you digitize your LPs, cassettes, reel-to-reels 8-tracks, etc, it couldn't manage them.
The website says you can do CDs, but reading other parts give indication that you have to rip the CD before MediaMonkey can truly catalog it.

Now... if your entire collection is audio files, I think MediaMonkey would be great. But if you own physical media, MediaMonkey fails.
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

Salvatore Besso

Re: MediaMonkey alternative to CATraxx?

Postby Salvatore Besso » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:12 am

DougWilliams wrote:As an alternative to CATraxx, it fails.
MediaMonkey requires audio files. Unless you digitize your LPs, cassettes, reel-to-reels 8-tracks, etc, it couldn't manage them.
The website says you can do CDs, but reading other parts give indication that you have to rip the CD before MediaMonkey can truly catalog it.

Now... if your entire collection is audio files, I think MediaMonkey would be great. But if you own physical media, MediaMonkey fails.

good morning (night) Doug,

yes, my collection is entirely physical media, CDs (I have also 100+ LPs but I'm not interested to catalog them for now), but I have to say that when I have inserted them into CATraxx database, I have also ripped them (at least, I have ripped the songs of interest, not all of them), so I have also the files. As I told you in the other thread, apart cataloguing purposes, I use CATraxx to carry all my music with me when I'm out of home, mainly when driving my car.

Yesterday, when playing again with MediaMonkey, I have made a testing folder where I have copied three ripped CD's of my collection. MediaMonkey seamlessly found them and created the CD entries (albums).

Regarding physical media, it's not exacy to say that MediaMonkey fails, at least not completely. After having analyzed the software and their online help, I can confirm that when you insert a physical CD into their virtual CD (and then into the MediaMonkey database), the CDs is recorded into the database but not the tracks. To play this CD from MediaMonkey you have to insert again the physical media into the DVD player. Absurd, unless there is a method to associate the inserted physical media to already existing ripped tracks, like in CATraxx, method that I haven't found yet.

I finally managed to find the MediaMonkey database file, located in "MainDir\Portable" folder (for portable installation). It is an SQLite database consisting of an unique file like CATraxx, with many tables in it. The working principle is similar to CATraxx, with albums, artists, tracks, genres, etc. each in its own table. But the negative thing is that MediaMonkey doesn't even have an import feature. I have found only an "Export to playlist" feature.

I could try to make an import program with Delphi, but I don't know if it is worth the trouble.

I will probably (and definitely) delete it. Thank you for your time.

Salvatore

Return to “Alternatives to the CAT programs”