Before the end of 2017 the board will be down for a brief period of time for an upgrade.
Past experience says less than 30 minutes but I can't predict the future.
Also, there is a high probability that the forum will move to a different host, but that will not happen in 2017.
Thanks,
Doug

Other Book Cataloging Software

Discuss alternatives to the CAT programs.
DougWilliams
Site Admin

Other Book Cataloging Software

Postby DougWilliams » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:36 pm

What other book cataloging software (besides Collectorz, Readware and Booknizer) have you tried?
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

Alex Ivanovich

Re: Other Book Cataloging Software

Postby Alex Ivanovich » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:06 pm

there is an application for cataloging books, and an Italian software house
the software development based on LabVIEW,
and the program in English and Italian.

PowerBK - Gestione Biblioteca

http://www.powerwolf.it/powerbk.htm

Code: Select all

General. PowerBK is the software development based on LabVIEW, allowing you to easily manage a public or private library. There are various search functions and data visualization, with print or export to many formats (Excel, Word, XML, ...). The software supports integration with Google Books and automatic search on the internet of data by ISBN.

The product is protected by a password to access the program and a password to access the database, to ensure data security, in accordance with the Privacy Act. E 'can also configure automatic backup of data entered, with frequency and mode set by the user.

Requirements.

Operating system: Windows XP, Windows Server 2003/2008/2012, Windows VISTA, Windows 7 and Windows 8;

Architecture: 32/64-bit;

On XP operating system is required Microsoft library Dotnet 2.0 or later (the page of support are available for download links);

Internet connection (for updates and other operations related to the transfer of data on the network);

And it requires no special hardware configuration, but we recommend at least 512MB of RAM and an adequate processor (Pentium IV or higher).

Main Features.

Advanced search data entered and display;

No limit to the number of registries and books;

Managing movement and the availability of books;

Support for cataloging Dewey Decimal (DDC);

Integration with Google Books and automatic search of data on the internet by ISBN;

Integration with barcode reader for fast access by ISBN;

Import data (books and contacts) to file (.csv, .txt, .xls, ...);

Completely in Italian;

Managing multi - database, multi-user;

GUI versatile and powerful built in LabVIEW;

Automatic data backup;

Print and export of data in different formats;

Security and data protection (access password);

Free software updates;

The program complies with recent legislation on privacy.

J.F. Le Deist

Postby J.F. Le Deist » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:31 pm

I went to Librarything some monthes ago

I stopped because I feared to loose my datas. They are not on my computer, but online.

What happens if... ?

It ain't bad. I'll come back to LibraryThing for some books.

https://www.librarything.com/
https://www.librarything.com/wiki/index ... :Work/Edit

Azol

Postby Azol » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:53 pm

I wonder if anyone tried to employ Calibre (calibre-ebook.com) as a book management software. Calibre is about ebooks mostly, but it can manage printed books as well. You can add any fields you need and I believe there should be a feature to import your current data.
Last edited by Azol on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSWallack

Postby MSWallack » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:26 pm

I use Calibre extensively for my eBooks (it is a terrific eBook manager) but it really serves a very different purpose than BookCAT. For two simple examples of how Calibre doesn't really serve as a substitute, consider:

1) Calibre has no function for keeping track of information about authors (beyond the sort name).

2) Calibre can't keep track of contents of a book as separate from the book itself. Thus it is very difficult in Calibre to keep track of short stories.

That isn't to say that you couldn't use Calibre, but as long as BookCAT continues to function, I don't see a reason to try to reconfigure Calibre to do what BookCAT already does. Of course, if you don't have a BookCAT license, then use of Calibre might make sense. Maybe.

Return to “Alternatives to the CAT programs”