Windows 10

Discuss installation and usage of the CAT programs with Windows 10.
MSWallack

Re: Windows 10

Postby MSWallack » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:51 pm

I've been holding off updating to Win10, in large part due to concerns about CATraxx and BookCAT. I'm glad to hear that people have been able to use these programs successfully with Win10.

J.F. Le Deist

Postby J.F. Le Deist » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:42 pm

Upgraded one of my computer from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 10 Pro.
I feared to loose the 30.000 e-mails I had saved but no problem.
Bookcat seems to work perfectly.
I had lost the icons of printer and scan but the pilots and software were still there.

My 2 other computers are very old ones running Vista Pro ( nearly 10 years ) : I use them till death ( of computer ! not mine :P )
Catraxx is installed on my old laptop. I'm waiting to buy a new laptop next year to move Catraxx : I have a license for 1 computer only ( and a license for 3 computers for Bookcat ).

Alex Ivanovich

Postby Alex Ivanovich » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:55 pm

Installed Windows 10 Pro, to upgrade Win 7
I have not had to reinstall BookCAT, all files and configuration have been maintained as in windows 7
I'm cataloging comic book and the system and very fast, BookCAT also more reactive faster to load data and display screens :D
Fredrick and a step forward, predicted that "its programs" can also work on later versions of Windows ;)

baeckerg

Postby baeckerg » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:46 am

I just assembled a completely new machine with a clean Win10. I installed Catraxx, CatVids and BookCat and all worked like a charm. I just placed the license files in the correct spots - that's all

Kind regards and merry cattaloguing
gernot

onlytrev

Re: Windows 10 & Catraxx

Postby onlytrev » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi,

I upgraded to W10 from W8.1 some time ago and believed my FNWare programs were working as normal. There were no apparent problems.

I have, however, just discovered a problem that may or may not be related to the Windows upgrade. Following minor track changes (Genre etc) in Catraxx, I activate 'Audio:Write to tag' which appears to work as before, but I am now finding that the changes are not actually writing to my .mp3 files.
I have installed Catraxx 9.44 over Catraxx 9.35 (I think it was reporting) and also cddbcontrol_setup.exe but the problem persists.

Using a tag editor I have changed tags manually but Catraxx does not read in the changes either!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Alex Ivanovich

Re: Windows 10 & Catraxx

Postby Alex Ivanovich » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:51 am

onlytrev wrote:Hi,

I upgraded to W10 from W8.1 some time ago and believed my FNWare programs were working as normal. There were no apparent problems.

I have, however, just discovered a problem that may or may not be related to the Windows upgrade. Following minor track changes (Genre etc) in Catraxx, I activate 'Audio:Write to tag' which appears to work as before, but I am now finding that the changes are not actually writing to my .mp3 files.
I have installed Catraxx 9.44 over Catraxx 9.35 (I think it was reporting) and also cddbcontrol_setup.exe but the problem persists.

Using a tag editor I have changed tags manually but Catraxx does not read in the changes either!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi onlytrev

tries to run the program Catraxx as administrator

onlytrev

Postby onlytrev » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion Alex, but I did some more structured testing and determined that Catraxx on a friend's Windows 10 computer did not have my problem. I then took my life in my hands and uninstalled the program that had never put a foot wrong in more years than I care to remember! A clean re-install cured the problem without losing any of my settings and preferences.

Whether the W10 upgrade was responsible or not I'll never know, but I must pay tribute to Frederick's superb software which always emerges unscathed from whatever is thrown at it.

I'm now trying to evaluate how many discrepancies exist on file tags which are read by 'MediaMonkey' which is my preferred media player. There is nothing wrong with the Catraxx player but as I have impaired hearing I need a player with a built in equaliser to easily switch presets between hearing methods. I have Siemens hearing aids which double up as excellent headphones via an add on streamer but also have speakers and headphones in abundance when I am not wearing my aids.

I have no intention of giving in to deafness!

J.F. Le Deist

Postby J.F. Le Deist » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:02 pm

A little thing I've noticed ( with Bookcat ) :
When I add a new book ( manual add ), I fill all simple fields with new datas, but when I arrive to a field with drop-down list ( publisher, series, ... ) I can't use directly the scroll button of the mouse : I must first click on the grey cursor on the right part of the list, and only after this I can use the scroll.
I can use the up and down arrows, too, before scrolling.

It happens only with drop-down lists of fields. It works very well with the main screen in Book View : I can scroll up and down directly when opening the database.

I didn't had this problem with Windows 8. And I don't have this problem with the other computer running Windows Vista.

It's not really a problem : I can use Bookcat, but it needs a new click ( on the grey cursor ) each time I want to scroll up or down.

English is not my native language, and I don't know all informatics words ( I'm in the medical world ) : I hope you can understand me :?

kevinrailway

Postby kevinrailway » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:44 am

A copy of BookCAT proved a little troublesome to upgrade to Win 10, but NOT through any fault of BookCAT.

There was a copy on a club computer, which was running Win 8.1, but the PC failed with a corrupted HDD. So someone else installed Win 10 as a new install (an update wouldn't work) and it worked fine.

However I had to reinstall BookCAT (obviously), the problem being finding the correct version of the registration file. I thought I'd covered this eventuality, by storing the install file & the registration, on that same HDD, but of course a new install of Win 10, reformatted the HDD! After several goes, I eventually found the correct registration file on a USB stick & so it now works. It wasn't made easy, but the fact that this club PC, has no access to the internet! At least not without a bit of mucking about on a dodgy wireless connection!

So make sure you have a copy of the latest install file AND the correct registration file! I know you can get another such file, but how long before that stops?

omahonys

Postby omahonys » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:41 am

Hello.

I very recently updated my machine from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I am currently running CatVids 9.33. At first, it appeared that CatVids was running well under Windows 10. However, the first time I attempted to add a new record using "Add - Download from Internet", I received the following diagnostic: An error occurred: "Protocol "https" not implemented"

I typically download from Amazon.

Is there a fix for this available?

Return to “Windows 10”