Just to say hello... but not only that

General Discussion
Salvatore Besso

Just to say hello... but not only that

Post by Salvatore Besso » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:32 pm

so happy new year to all the people in this forum.

I want to say that I have just downloaded and installed the CATraxx 9.51 update. But the installer seems to have problems with network folders. The main CATraxx folder that I use on all my machines is located on a network folder (on the NAS). But because there are problems to let CATraxx understand them (it simply doesn't), I have assigned a drive letter to this network folder (Z: in this case) and I have substituted the path using the "datafolderlocation.exe" utility. So far, so good. But the 9.51 installer popped out an error message saying that it was unable to find the "Z:\CATraxx" folder. Absurd, because starting CATraxx it works just fine using this folder.

So I changed back the folder to "Documents\...", installed the new version and changed again back to Z:\...

Just to let you know. Unfortunately I don't remember if I had the same problem with past updates. Did some of you encounter the same problem? But maybe I'm the only one in the world that uses a network folder.

Salvatore

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Re: Just to say hello... but not only that

Post by DougWilliams » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:01 am

Hello Salvatore,

I too have had the same issue.
I've created two registry files.
Just before install, I import the registry file with the local information to point the program to a local drive which is a back up of the network drive.
After the install I use the second registry file to point it back to my network location.
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

felldownawell

Post by felldownawell » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:25 pm

I run from multiple machines with the DB and explorer templates stored on a NAS with no problem and without mapping the drive. During install, did you select to install store the application files themselves to the NAS instead of the local machine? I just have it install to the default location, select the DB to open from the network path, and map the explorer templates.
Catraxx user since 2005

Turntable: Technics SL-1200 MK2
Cartridge: Shure M97xE
Preamp: Cambridge 540P
Tape Deck: Teac W-890R
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR
Recording: Adobe Audition CC 2019
Post-Production: iZotope RX 7

Salvatore Besso

Post by Salvatore Besso » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:01 am

hello Doug and unknown,

it's not a big problem to temporarily switch to standard "Documents\..." for the update and then revert to mapped drive. I hope that Fredrik could fix this :-)

As I've already said, I'm also using CATraxx from multiple machines (one at a time, of course!) but since I have also an SD card on the notebook for use when I'm outside of home and I cannot access the network and that this SD card has been given a drive letter of Z:, I have made all machines equal, that's to say all with a Z: drive even if they really map a network folder. The reason for this is that all the machines share the same "CATraxx" folder and the path must be the same in all the machines.

Salvatore
Best wishes
Salvatore

Salvatore Besso

Post by Salvatore Besso » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:04 am

I forgot to say that, of course, I have a two-way synchronization active between the folder on the SD card (notebook) and the same folder on the NAS and the synchronization job is run after every use on the notebook.

Salvatore
Best wishes
Salvatore