Can't download from US Library of Congress

Discuss using and your tips/tricks for BookCAT
thayerlibrary

Can't download from US Library of Congress

Post by thayerlibrary » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Hi! We have a new problem that showed up in the past couple of weeks. When I go to the Library of Congress (US) to find a book that is PRE-ISBN, I usually get the LCCN and put it in the DOWNLOAD from Internet page in BookCAT. Now, when I hit download, the result says NOT FOUND. I've tried both the copy/paste (my usual way) and typing the number in manually. Also, BookCAT used to search all of the checked sites for this number--now it just checks the Library of Congress. Did something change in the download part of BookCAT that I'm not seeing?

Roxie2401

Re: Can't download from US Library of Congress

Post by Roxie2401 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:36 pm

HI, I'm a new user to BookCAT but also can not download anything from Library of Congress or Barnes & Noble.

Does not make any difference if I use the LCCN or ISBN - just get a error each time. This seems more like a communication format error??

Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the old Internet.dll file - the one released before August 21, 2015? I wonder if the problem with Library of Congress is the new dll file?

If I go to the Library of Congress site, searching by ISBN or LCCN works just fine.

thayerlibrary

Post by thayerlibrary » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Hi, Roxie!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I was beginning to wonder what I had done to mess things up.

Right now I'm in even more of a jam because I tried uninstalling and reinstalling BookCAT to see if that would fix the problem. Now I can't put my activation key in--won't let me get to the window. Says LICENSE FILE CORRUPT. I've emailed support hoping they'll send me a new key and am standing by. :roll:

No, I don't have an old Internet dll here at the library. I'll check at the museum (the other place I use this program).

Jenn

thayerlibrary

Post by thayerlibrary » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:21 pm

OK, I tried using an Internet dll from March 2015. This did not work. I was able to use the backup copy of the license to get back into the program, so at least I have my databases working again. But, still no luck with downloading anything from the Library of Congress (US). No ISBN (says ERROR). LCCN (says NOT FOUND).

Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:42 pm

Hi - well, I found the following on the Library of Congress web site. It looks like they changed their interface on December 15, 2015 - which is probably about the time BookCAT stopped being able to access the LCCN data.

https://catalog.loc.gov/legacy.html

https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/ui/en_US/ ... earch.html

https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/ui/en_US/ ... html#bibID

The last one maybe what is needed for LCCN access.

I did take a chance and forwarded this to Fredrik - I know he clearly states no further support of his programs and probably over-stepped by clicking the "Report Report Problem" icon.

What I'm betting is that the "Internet.dll" file needs to be changed but I sure don't know how to edit a dll.

Anyway, I think this is why the search using Library of Congress went away - December 15, 2015.

Roxie2401

Post by Roxie2401 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi - there is a new Internet.dll file available.

I'm told it fixes "some" of the Library of Congress issues.

It does now search and download using the LCCN/ISBN.

I suspect we can expect to see issues like this in the future as Sites change their interfaces and protocols.

Fredrik was very kind to take a look at this but we all have to remember support for the CAT programs did really stop a while back.

We need to thank Fredrik for this one!

thayerlibrary

Post by thayerlibrary » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:31 pm

:) THANK-YOU, Fredrik! How wonderful to be able to continue downloading from the LOC! And, thank-you, Roxie, for following up on this glitch.

You're right, we'll need to be aware of the future changes. I really hope to continue to be able to use this program! It's been a lifesaver to our tiny library and to the local historical society. :D