Move some (not all) audio files to new location

Discuss using and your tips/tricks for CATraxx
BrJohan

Move some (not all) audio files to new location

Postby BrJohan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:52 pm

I would like to move some fourhundred albums (audio files) to a new location, while leaving all other at their current place. "Update Path (Audio Files)" relocates everything - as seen by the database. I do not want this.

Is there some way to inform the database of such a partial move?

Azol

Re: Move some (not all) audio files to new location

Postby Azol » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:35 am

Audio - Auto-Organize - for all selected albums, select new Base folder.

Backup first, there is no guarantee it will work as you intend. Double check auto-organize setups first.

BrJohan

Postby BrJohan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:19 pm

I did in fact consider the "Auto Organize" option, but as my intended 'move' is in two parts (see below), I don't think it will work as one operation.

First I'm going to move the audio files from FLAC to MP3, and then I'm going to move the MP3-files to a location already containing other MP3-files that are attached to other CATraxx albums.

Is there a way in CATraxx to handle the first part (FLAC -> MP3) for a fairly large number of albums/tracks separately? If 'yes', then the "Auto Organize" should be able to take care of the locationmovement - as suggested.

Azol

Postby Azol » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:21 am

Your best bet is to keep the files organized per-album so you would be able to rescan folders in new location I guess. No idea what you are trying to achieve though - re-encode all your FLAC as MP3? Sounds strange to me. MP3 has no future.

If you begin with re-encoding, your audio files would change their extension but keep the name, so you will probably have to use some custom SQL script to change it across the database. I can think of no automatic way of achieving same results with CATraxx. Then you would use Auto-organize to move those to new location. My best guess.

Gordon K

Postby Gordon K » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:40 am

If you can find a copy of Microsoft Access and open the Catraxx database file with that you can find the corrrect library file (Audiofilelink), sort to identify the files you wish to change select, and then use find and replace. but for the sake of your sanity, do backup first. I rearranged all my links this way and it was simple and quick. but do always keep your original backup and save the access file to a new file. I think this achieves your goal.

BrJohan

Postby BrJohan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:10 am

I will try the MS Access method. It seems promising. Hopefully my Office 2007 version is not too old to run in Win10. Oherwise LibreOffice Base may be used, I hope ...

To Azol: The main part of my audio will remain as FLAC. It's just my rips from 78rpm and recordings made before 1935 that will be "demoted". Quite likely MP3 is going to survive me.

Return to “Using CATraxx”