Birth / death dates in BC

Discuss using and your tips/tricks for CATraxx
KAM

Birth / death dates in BC

Post by KAM » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:49 pm

Is there any way to fool CATraxx in to accepting the birth or death of someone as being in, for example, 43BC?

I have a choral recording where a modern composer has set some of Ovid's poems to music. Obviously, I want to register Ovid's significant part in the final work, and I'd also like to record him, his birth and death in the Artist/Person table. So far I can't find a way of doing that. CATraxx won't accept negative years. The pull-down selection on years only scrolls as long ago as 0.

Any suggestions? (Yeah, I know, stop listening to this kind of music :( )

Ken

Gordon K

Re: Birth / death dates in BC

Post by Gordon K » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:53 pm

Ken, nah! Choral music rocks (or is that a mixed metaphor?) I have not got back prior to the early Renaissance yet, before that is sort of all Greek to me.
More seriously, why not note the birth (or death date) as 01.01.01 and use the Alternate names field as a comment to add the proper details. I do that when I cannot identify a date (some 20th Century artists and composers are a little precious about their age). I use HAP birth dates and it handles an empty field but where I cannot get certainty of the date I will put in the earliest date associated with that person I can find and add a comment in the alternate names and include in the web links the references I have used.
Not quite a direct answer to your question but just an alternative involving zero SQL!

KAM

Post by KAM » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks Gordon.

The very strange thing about Ovid is that there's reasonable certainty about his birth: 20th March 43BC, but his death in exile is much more obscure. By the time news eventually got back to Rome for anyone to record it, the best guess was that he'd died sometime in AD17, or maybe it was AD18 - who knows?

Anyway, for his birth I've put 20th March into CATraxx with a blank year, and for his death I've put 17 as the year with a blank day and month. And guess what - good old CATraxx displays and sorts these entries correctly. It takes a blank year to be older than any other completed entry, so he appears in the correct place in a sorted list. And what's more, the additional age-related XSL code from Hamsen (HAPbirthdates) that I incorporated years ago handles this weird condition gracefully by stating Ovid's age at death to be "blank" since it can't be calculated from the incomplete data. I half-expected to get some error code or other #VALUE! warning. I should have known better with Thomas' coding standards :)

I've not been around this forum (or using CATraxx itself) much for the past couple of years - I've really been tied up in other issues. But I may start getting back to both before too long.

Regards

Ken

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Post by DougWilliams » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:09 pm

Even if you're listening to that "old" music Ken, it's good seeing you on the board! :)
Now, back to cataloging...but not listening.. who has time for that!! :D
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"