Unable to add NEW album that is not in CDDB into boxset

Discuss using and your tips/tricks for CATraxx
tony1960

Unable to add NEW album that is not in CDDB into boxset

Post by tony1960 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:22 pm

Ran into this for the very first time with my Classical Music database.

Firstly, I think I input some of my collection slightly different than others. For example, when I am working on any type of "Boxset", I start by labeling the album title by the name of the boxset. I let CATrax query CDDB for the first disc (to make the "Album') and then I click on the "Add CD - Download from CDDB" button for every disc there after until I have entered all the discs. So my "Mercury Living Presence - The Collector's Edition" boxset comes out as one Album with 50 discs. I've done this successfully with over 50 boxsets that contain anywhere from 9 to 144 discs (The Arthur Rubinstein Edition).

Now my problem, I just recently purchased the boxset "Archiv Production, Vol. II - The Analogue Stereo Recordings 1959-1981", it is a very new product and I purchased it from Amazon Italy 1 month before it gets to the USA.

I usually imput the discs right away and edit them later, that way I can root out any discs that cannot be read or are incorrect (I have been able to find missing or duplicate discs 3 or 4 different times in some of my more massive box sets, enough that I had to return one set back, and it happened again!!, probably a manufactering error and that is why it imput each disc immediatley).

Now this new set "Archiv Production, Vol. II - The Analogue Stereo Recordings 1959-198", is so new that I have come across 4 different instances of discs having no reference in CDDB. In that past I would just click the "Add Media" and a new "Blank" disc would be added at the end of the collection. I would then let CATrax "Scan CD - Read Track Times", then I would have the individual number of tracks with their times on the disc. I would then enter all the appropriate information for each field, then exit the program (I automatically have it to save/backup with each closing). But when I come back into that program, not only have my new additions NOT been accepted, but I have lost the entire ALBUM from my database. In this particular instance, I was adding disc 40 out of 50 total in the collections, so a lot of work and time had gone into just scanning the discs into the program. I tried this over a dozen of times, and it happened each and every time.

It rarely happens that a disc is not recognized by CATrax or CDDB, but in the past I was able to manually input the information as I stated above. With this new box set, it is the first time I have not been able to enter a disc successfully. I started working on this on 04/26/2016, the boxset was released on 4/22/2016. In fact there has been 4 total instances of this happening with this boxset, but the first three times the particular disc showed up being recognized by CDDB the next day and I was able to just continue as normal.

Any suggestions?

One other thing, I was able to manually enter the offending disc as a separate individual album not connected to the main box set, and CATrax DID NOT delete that 1 individual album.

Thanks for any input. Sorry about the longwinded post.

Tony

Gordon K

Re: Unable to add NEW album that is not in CDDB into boxset

Post by Gordon K » Sun May 01, 2016 4:02 am

I am possibly (probably!) missing something but could you not treat your 4 "not found" albums as stand alone albums, add them to your data base, add the detail as you normally do and submit to CDDB. Then delete them from your data base. You should then be able to add them to your box set in the normal way as they will be "found" in CDDB?

tony1960

Post by tony1960 » Sun May 01, 2016 8:27 am

well I sort of do that now (in essence trying to get CDDB to recognize the disc information so I can continue finishing the boxset, but so far the 4th disc has still not been recognized by CDDB, even after 3 straight days of submitting the info), but my main concern is that I want to add the discs to the appropriate "Album" in the right order, and that is where my problem lies. If the disc is not in the "Archiv Produktion, Vol. II" album list, then if I ever want to look for it to play it, I won't be able to find it, especially if I run into this type of problem again.

As an aside, I used to be able to merge albums, but I have forgotten how. Can someone tell me step-by-step how I can merge this One album into the 50 disc box set "Archiv Produktion, Vol. II"?

Thanks for replying

Tony

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Post by DougWilliams » Sun May 01, 2016 5:40 pm

Right Click on the Track list of the Main album.
Select MERGE ALBUMS.
A list will come up, select the desired album to merge.
It will add it to the end of the Main Album track listing.
You can move it to the appropriate spot.
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

tony1960

Post by tony1960 » Mon May 02, 2016 10:26 pm

Thanks Doug, that did it just fine.

Tony