Imorting text file

Discuss using and your tips/tricks for CATraxx
dak4482

Imorting text file

Postby dak4482 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:18 pm

hi all,

Glad to see Catraax is still being updated.

Having trouble importing from an excel file. I have a file with about 3000 mp3's that have 5 different categories in each song: Track.title, track.artist, track.version, track.label, and Album.title. when I started the import dropdown it asked for a name and a table. But all the tables entries in the drop down are related to Album entries. I want to import these text files into the TRACK database. So thats confusion #1

Next are drop downs for GENERAL, ALBUM FIELDS, and TRACK FIELDS. Under the general fields are filename requesters for album and track. Do you need entries for both of those or just one. Can they both be the same file?

This is going to get rather long so I'll cut right to the chase... when I fill out everything as I think its supposed to be, It only imports the entries in the excel file into the Album database and not the track database, and gives an error message saying it cant link the album.title to the album.title in the two files I showed in the general dropdown. Can anyone give a step by step on how to import an excel file into the TRACK database? HELP!!!

Thx in advance.

Dan

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Re: Imorting text file

Postby DougWilliams » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:00 am

Hi Dan,
Short of it is you have to have an album import AND a track import.
Create an excel with just the album tile (as long as they are unique) and during the import setup identify the common ID.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (56.39 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

dak4482

Postby dak4482 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:47 am

thx for the quick reply.

So I need two excel files, say one named ym_playlist album.xls and one labelled Ym_playlist tracks.xls. the track file would have the 5 columns I show in the screen below (I hope it shows up) and the other with just column E? and then link the column E in the one file with the same column in the other?

Will these then be put in one big album or will it use the Album.Title column to put the entries into separate albums named in that column such as YM_076 and YM_077, etc?

Yesterday's Memories file.pdf
sample data file
(68.19 KiB) Downloaded 17 times

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Postby DougWilliams » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:35 am

You've got the idea right.
Before doing this be sure to have a backup of the database (unless you're starting from new).
The idea is to get the album (ym076,ym077..) created so the linked tracks can be associated with the album.

To have one album with ALL those tracks is not recommended.
Record Collector

dak4482

Re: Importing text file

Postby dak4482 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:45 pm

Doug,

what these are is log files for each broadcast of the Yesterday's Memories programs listing the songs that were played in each broadcast. What I'm trying to accomplish is make each broadcast one album with all the records played during each broadcast a track under that album. Hope that helps you understand what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm still doing something wrong. I either end up with all 3000 files in BOTH the album list and the track list perfect and with no details in the Album list entries OR with all 3000 in the Album list with nothing in the track list.

2016-12-07_17-18-06.jpg
2016-12-07_17-18-06.jpg (56.1 KiB) Viewed 214 times

under album fields I have Album.Title
and under track fields I have Track.Title, Track.Artist, Track.Version, and Track.Released.

In the playlist album xls file I have just one column with all the album title entries , such as ym 76, ym 77 (several of each one, such as seven ym 76's and 10 ym 77's, etc),

In the playlist track.xls file I have the four columns I mentioned above plus the Album.title column which contains the same entries as those in the Album.xls file. I then linked the two Album.title columns .

In one run it placed all 3000 album titles in the album list with no details on what track was linked to them.and all 3000 track details in the track list.

in another run (I must have changed something) all 3000 album entries went into the album list and nothing was entered in the track list after the import.

What am I doing wrong? At the very least the entries it places in the Album list should have the track info in them, but they dont. The entries in the track file are fine in one case and on another run there were no entries in the track listing at all after the merge.

2nd question - This merge appears to only place all the ym 77 entries , for example in separate album files. Is there a way to do this so that all the tracks for ym 77 are placed into only one album listed as ym 77?

Thx for your patience and help.

dan

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Postby DougWilliams » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:27 pm

Try having two distinct files.
If you'd like you can send me the Excel file and I'll bring it into CATraxx.
If it's a big file I've used http://www.wetransfer.com with good results.
Record Collector

Return to “Using CATraxx”