Before the end of 2017 the board will be down for a brief period of time for an upgrade.
Past experience says less than 30 minutes but I can't predict the future.
Also, there is a high probability that the forum will move to a different host, but that will not happen in 2017.
Thanks,
Doug

CATraxx random capabilities

Discuss using and your tips/tricks for CATraxx
Salvatore Besso

CATraxx random capabilities

Postby Salvatore Besso » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:21 pm

hello all,

I've just joined these forums, being a long time (and happy) CATraxx user and so I give to you my best wishes. I add that I'm running CATraxx on Windows 10 Pro (Creators Update 1703) without problems and also on a very old notebook running Windows XP SP3 that I use when I go out of home, on holiday for example (I can plug the notebook's audio output to the AUX input of the car radio). To accomplish this I have copied the whole CATraxx and multimedia folders on a 256 GB SD card that I use on the notebook. The SD card and the home computer are synchronized bidirectionally. Of course only one computer at a time can be used to avoid conflicts.

My music collection is not huge but neither small, counting more than 360 CD's and some 6000+ tracks, of which only about 3600+ have a FLAC audio file (I have not extracted all the tracks either because of duplicates but mainly because I don't like all of them).

Well, the thing that I mostly like, is to generate a list of 50 (or more) random songs and to play it; the list picks up only tracks that have an audio file linked to them. In substance, I have only modified the quantity in the predefined "Surprise me: 25 random tracks" playlist in CATraxx's player.

And now we arrive at the core of the problem.

Of the 3600+ songs of my collection, there are still some 300+ tracks that were never played from database creation several years ago, and still many tracks which were played years ago last time, but CATraxx (or the player) insists to build the playlist with many repetitions of songs played even the day before; in my opinion repetitions are even abnormal; for example, when the list has finished with the last song, it regenerates itself with other 50 songs and yesterday I got two songs that have been just played in the previous regeneration.

So the question is: Is there any way (or any setting that I don't know) to make lists more random so the list will be finally able to pick tracks that were never played or that were played years ago? I fear not, because I suspect that this poor behaviour of the random generator is due to the programming language used to code CATraxx (Visual Basic?), but I'm not completely sure. Any help will be appreciated.

If you are interested, I'm going to post another message in the "Alternatives" forum.

Salvatore

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Re: CATraxx random capabilities

Postby DougWilliams » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi Salvatore
Welcome to the forum!

I created a playlist that is random but also looks at the "Days Last Played". If it's less then a year, don't play it (my collection is a bit larger than yours).
You could have it so it looks for those longer then 7 days.
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

Salvatore Besso

Re: CATraxx random capabilities

Postby Salvatore Besso » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:06 pm

DougWilliams wrote:Hi Salvatore
Welcome to the forum!

I created a playlist that is random but also looks at the "Days Last Played". If it's less then a year, don't play it (my collection is a bit larger than yours).
You could have it so it looks for those longer then 7 days.

hello Doug,

thanks for the reply. You're right, I could add the "Days Last Played" field and make it, say, one month or so. I think that one year could be a bit excessive. Thank you!

If you like, give a look at my other message in the alternatives to CATs forum.

Regards
Salvatore

Return to “Using CATraxx”