LastPlayed Field

Discuss using and your tips/tricks for CATraxx
Funkstreet Fred

LastPlayed Field

Post by Funkstreet Fred » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:16 pm

Is anyone maintaining the Album table field - LastPlayed? It does not show up in the standard Album maintenance. I guess it would be on the Library tab. I want to populate this manually and I do so through a MS Access interface instead of CATraxx. This works fine but it would be useful to be able to populate it in the standard CATraxx interface and not have to switch back and forth.

ustoexx

Re: LastPlayed Field

Post by ustoexx » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:58 pm

You can use this field in CATraxx using it via Form Designer (hope i got you right):
Double click on album - Album form appears. Choose "From Designer" from menu, click on desired tab and choose "Insert Field" from menu; click on form and choose "Library" - "Last Played".
Save the form at voilà...

I use the field to track albums/tracks played with CATraxx Audio player - it is automatically populated.
I also use "Play Count".

Cheers
Uwe

Funkstreet Fred

Post by Funkstreet Fred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks for your response!
Yes, CATraxx can see the field there, but I need one step more. I need to be able to update/add the last played date. The form designer brings it in as display only.
Let me explain why. I retired over 5 years ago. One of my retirement goals related to my crazy music collecting obsession was to play every album/live show/etc in my collection at least once. To track my progress, I need to mark an album as played. I don't play my albums using the CATraxx player, I use my Ipod with headphones mostly. I load 25 albums on it and play the songs alphabetically, and then delete the songs after listening to them. When all songs are played, I load another 25 albums (300 to 400 songs). I need to mark those albums as played. I decided to use the LastPlayed field for this which makes sense to me. Since CATraxx can't do this I use MS Access as a backdoor process to do it. This works fine, but I use the standard CATraxx interface 50% of the time and MS Access 50%. It would be convenient to be able to update the LastPlayed in the CATraxx interface sometimes. I realize that I am using the field outside of the original design but it works great for my goal. So far I have listened to just under 6000 albums.

Cally

Post by Cally » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:25 am

Maybe it could be a solution to use the “set field value“ function in catraxx? Just an idea, did'nt check, if it is possible.
Greets from germany
Martin

MSWallack

Post by MSWallack » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:13 pm

Why not use one of the custom date fields or even a checkbox field (checked when played)?

Funkstreet Fred

Post by Funkstreet Fred » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Both of those suggestions have merit. I have considered using custom35 or custom36 as possibilities. The checkbox would allow marking an album as played but I would lose the actual date that it was played. So suppose I'm ready for my next 25 album load, it helps to know when the last time I listened to an album from a particular artist. If it has been a while, I may decide to pick an album from that artist.
Using a custom date field would work based on how I'm using LastPlayed right now. I really only care about the date and not the timestamp. However, the custom date fields are really text fields of 8 characters with an input mask for formatting. The data goes in as YYYYMMDD and it has to be that way if there is any sorting on it. The LastPlayed field is a Date/Time field. I will have to move data in 6000 records from LastPlayed to Custom35. It won't be all that hard, but there may be some formatting of the data. I will have to change about 25 filters in CATraxx and a few sorts that will need to be changed to Custom35. That's not a big deal. A bigger problem is on the Access side. There are at least 35 or more queries and several VB functions that will need to use Custom35. This will be a little time consuming but I'm retired so I have the time. I think I will ponder this for a while before I make any changes. After all I'm only looking for minor convenience gain by editing LastPlayed in CATraxx.

MSWallack

Post by MSWallack » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:05 pm

Does the "Last Played" field get data from the CATraxx player? I know that you said you're not using that player, but if CATraxx updates the field when the player is used, then perhaps the quickest way to get the data you're looking for would be to play the track in the player, just long enough for the data entry to register. Or, I suppose, you could create a playlist of the tracks that you want to assign a last played date and have the CATraxx player play those tracks (with you there to fast forward or when you're not around).

Thinking out loud here...

Funkstreet Fred

Post by Funkstreet Fred » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:12 pm

I think your idea is interesting. Basically it would fool CATraxx into thinking an album was played.
You can't play an album unless it has an attached audio file and it's done at the track level. My collection has about 98,000 tracks of which 36,000 tracks are CDs, 8700 are .wav files (which represent digitized LPs, Cassettes or Radio shows I recorded on VHS tapes) and about 53,000 tracks are CDs that I put into ITUNES as AAC files because I ran out of room to store the CDs. The .wav files and AAC files are on one of the two computers that CATraxx runs on, so theoretically they might be attached to CATraxx tracks but what about the CDs. And now I'm moving to streaming albums and moving away from CDs. CATraxx has no knowledge of them. That is a lot of data to link and I'm pretty sure I don't want to be tied to a specific computer to play my music. One thought was to use one 5 second sound file for all the track links and then after playing the album on my Ipod, run the player to update LastPlayed. To see if this is even possible, I manually attached a short sound file to an album track and played it on the CATraxx player. The song played but it did not update the LastPlayed at the album level or at the track level. Admittedly, I don't know much about the player and attaching sound files. I may not have set everything correctly. But even if it did work, how could I attach a single file to all my album tracks except manually? I'm not going to do that to get a minor convenience gain for LastPLayed.
Even if it doesn't work for me, it was a fun exercise and I learned something about how CATraxx uses audio files.