Deleting artists/persons

Discuss using and your tips/tricks for CATraxx
Harald

Deleting artists/persons

Postby Harald » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:18 pm

In the lookup view (artist/person) of my collection are a number of entries that leads to a "No match!" if I click on "All Roles". Can this entries definitly become deleted? Or do I get a gap in the personal structure then? Perhaps in a not assigned line-up.

Thanks for responses

Harald

J.F. Le Deist

Re: Deleting artists/persons

Postby J.F. Le Deist » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:49 pm

What I would do is :

1° search all "no match entries" : in "Lookup View (artist/persons)" : Toolbar -> Lookup tab -> Show unused records.
delete the ones you do not need

2° I don't know about the structure. Do you mean how to regenerate artist ID ?

I think others here can help you better than me.

Cally

Postby Cally » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:28 am

J.F. Le Deist wrote:What I would do is :

1° search all "no match entries" : in "Lookup View (artist/persons)" : Toolbar -> Lookup tab -> Show unused records.
delete the ones you do not need

2° I don't know about the structure. Do you mean how to regenerate artist ID ?

I think others here can help you better than me.

That's the best the way to do it.
The artist ID cannot be regenerated. But, however, there's no need to do it. It is an internal number. The user must not take care of it.

Greets from germany
Martin

Harald

Postby Harald » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:52 pm

Thank you for your answers.

I cannot remember that I saw the menu item "Show unused records" before. But it is very helpful in this case.
With personal structure I don´t meant the Catraxx internal structure but the relations between the persons and the bands. I don´t want to work on IDs.
The main problem that I have now is to decide which entry become deleted. Because there was a reason that I inserted this persons. Perhaps the unused entries are alternate names. Or members of not assigned line-ups. That I have to find out and decide for 65 entries in the next days.

Greets from germany

Harald

Gordon K

Postby Gordon K » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 am

Harald, Unused records are just that, there is no corresponding entry in the data base so there is no direct way you can go back and see who or what they are tied to.
Unused records result from several causes, for me they are often when I have spelt a name wrong and later corrected it. A duplicate record can results (except for the spelling) and until I delete the incorrect record I will have a duplicate record, one unused.. You might also have decided a name is not needed in a record (say in track conductor/arranger and deleted it. If there is no reference elsewhere in the database to that name it will become an unused record. You also might just have deleted it in error.
I suggest two things to find where the record may have come from. In the lookup table sort on either the sort by or name column. (first name, second name) Go down the table and see it there is a matching or similar name. That will help identify a miss-spelt first or second name. Second, google the name. That might be a long shot but might give you a pointer to a group/album/track that you can then inspect in your data base to see why the record has become unused.

Hope that all makes sense! Others may well have more wisdom.

Gordon K
Australia

J.F. Le Deist

Postby J.F. Le Deist » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:36 am

Personal vision :
I never delete unused records in Bookcat because I use "Lookup Person" as a biographical dictionary of writers. When I find an old ( in paper ! ) dictionary of writers, journalists,... I record most of them in Bookcat persons. They are also "unused".
You may have done this with singers, guitarists,...

Note : when exporting to another cataloging software ( for me : Book Collector, I export my complete Bookcat database to Bookcollector once a year to test and work on it ) these unused persons are not exported.

Harald

Postby Harald » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:43 pm

The problem is solved.
Three entries were alternate names. For 15 entries I found the correct role and the other entries are deleted.
No more unused entries in the database.

Thank you for support.

Greets from germany

Harald

Return to “Using CATraxx”