Musichi

Discuss alternatives to the CAT programs.
Charlie314

Musichi

Post by Charlie314 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Bonjour

"Musichi" is a very specialized database for classical music and jazz, but you can customize it as you want. It is very complete and not expensive. The licence is for life.
Here is the link: https://www.musichi.eu/

Charlie
Merci

Charlie

Cally

Re: Musichi

Post by Cally » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 pm

Bonjour Charlie,

thanks for the link. Is it still "alive"? In version history the latest update seems to be from 2011...
Did you try this software?

Greets
Martin

Charlie314

Post by Charlie314 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:48 pm

You can request a trial version with the form. You have three weeks to take the test.
I have this program (2019)

Charlie
Merci

Charlie

MSWallack

Post by MSWallack » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:16 pm

I also use MusiCHI. The last version (6.1) is from late 2017. I recently asked the developer if it was still under development and he said that it was and that a new version would be coming soon (though "soon" was several months ago). He said that it was a stable mature program that didn't need updates just for the sake of updates.

I do use MusiCHI for my classical music tagging, though frankly, I prefer the classical template created by another user on this form (KAM, perhaps?). I do like using the MusiCHI database (MusiCHI Clean) to help standardize composer and performer names and composition titles, but none of it is easy. Yes, it has some customization but nowhere near the degree that CATraxx does. And sadly, while the developer responds to queries promptly, he is nowhere near as accommodating as Fredrik was.

So, in the end, I'd suggest that MusiCHI is a good complement to CATraxx for a classical music collection. It may help you tag and organize your collection. For me, I'm, using it primarily for that purpose before bringing things into CATraxx. Of course, all of that is said based upon fairly limited use because I'm relatively newly returned to exploring classical music and thus I'm still playing around with the best solution to do just what I want.

Edit: One thing that I forgot to mention: The developer of MusiCHI has some very specific ideas of how classical music should be tagged and if you elect to deviate from his approach, things can go a bit haywire. Simple example: He wants albums stored in separate folders for each CD (\Album\CD1, \Album\CD2, etc.) and for tracks to be numbered 1-x for each CD and a disc number in the format 1/x. I've never liked using 1/1 when there is only 1 CD. More importantly, I like to number tracks on multi-CD albums as 101, 102, etc. and 201, 202, etc. I find that this works much better for sorting. But the MusiCHI application gets … fussy … if you don't follow the developer's expected tagging scheme. The same goes for what data is used to populate the Artist and Album Artists fields. His approach works very well if you're using MusiCHI but not necessarily as well in other applications (like CATraxx).

Hope that helps.

Charlie314

Post by Charlie314 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:16 pm

Bonjour

If you want to customize Musichi as CATraxx, better use CATraxx instead of Musichi, this is not the role of Musichi and it is clear.
As far as it is used as it is done without changing too much, it works very well. All the work is done in memory, it's very fast. Me it's for the Jazz / Blues.
For me it is a perfect complement to CATraxx and we can not compare them.
The "Player" is listening (reading in RAM), higher than that of CAtraxx, iTunes etc ...
In addition to the portable version, we take his music everywhere.
By answering the form, we receive a key to use the trial version for 3 weeks, as we can know if this program is suitable or not.

Good info here: https://www.musichi.eu/index.php/fr/readmore-fr

Charlie
Merci

Charlie