CAT Live featuring CATraxx 2020/05/02

General Discussion
DougWilliams
Site Admin

CAT Live featuring CATraxx 2020/05/02

Post by DougWilliams » Sat May 02, 2020 6:46 pm

A new episode of CAT Live featuring CATraxx has been released.
You do NOT need to be a Facebook member to view, so I've been told.
Also, while CATraxx is the featured program, many of the features shown are available in the other CAT programs.

https://www.facebook.com/doug.williams. ... 14859/?t=0

Included in this video:
  • Creating new databases
  • Transferring to a different database
  • Manually excluding Artists And auto exclude Artist Role
  • How I do artists with multiple names
  • What should I back up and a review of my file/folder structure
  • How to open multiple sessions of the same CAT program
  • "Scraping" a track list and paste into CATraxx (CATraxx specific)
  • Demonstration on compacting a database and why.
  • Reviewing the Sites Menu
  • Reviewing TOOLS > OPTIONS
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

musictappy

Re: CAT Live via Facebook

Post by musictappy » Sun May 03, 2020 1:18 am

Thanks Doug, this is good stuff. Sorry, I'm not on Facebook so I do appreciate that the videos are open for everyone to see.

I have been using CATraxx since 2004, and even though I use it daily I learn something new all of the time. I am curious, seeing that you are a heavy user of the program with a large collection, how much do you use the Explorer View in the program? I am asking because I noted that you handle artists with multiple names (John Cougar, John Cougar Mellencamp, etc.) the same way I do - by having a single Sort Order for all of the different forms of the name so that they will end up together. Unfortunately in the Explorer View, that causes the artist to be listed more than once as the Explorer View displays the Sort Order and not the actual Artist Name.

I've worked around this by rarely using the Explorer View and concentrating on just the Album View, but I'm always curious if I am missing something by doing that. Also, the perfectionist in me is also bothered a bit that an artist appears more than once. I need to look into editing the XML to see if it can be fixed that way, but this is one aspect of the program I haven't worked with much.

Thanks again for doing these videos and please keep them coming. Even people like myself who have been using the program for a long time are learning some new tricks.

Pat

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Post by DougWilliams » Sun May 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Hi Pat,

While I am not a heavy user of the Explorer View as I spend most of my time adding and entering data, I'd think I was a medium user of them.

While Explorer Views do display the SortBy, the lack of Artist Name or the "duplication" hasn't been an issue for me.

In the ArtistPerson List while it does show the multiple "Mellencamp, John" (JCM) if I place my mouse over the hyperlink it will display which JCM it is associated. It may be that I'm so used to my data quirks that abnormalities like this are just accepted without question. I do not let that prevent me from using the power of the Explorer Views.
Annotation 2020-05-03 075248.jpg
Annotation 2020-05-03 075248.jpg (77.61 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

musictappy

Post by musictappy » Mon May 04, 2020 3:48 am

Hi Doug,

This is what I mean about using the program for so long and not knowing quite a few of the intricacies of it! I never realized that holding your mouse over the hyperlink would display the associated artist name. As I said, I'm constantly learning about this wonderful program.

Thanks for the reply, and keep the tips coming!

Pat