Database issues

General Discussion
MSWallack

Database issues

Post by MSWallack » Wed May 27, 2020 6:54 pm

I'm having three issues with some of my CATraxx databases (but I'm posting here because they are not specific to CATraxx) that is not present in other databases:

1) If I click on the alphabet buttons beneath the button bar, the window usually jumps to the very last entry (or, sometimes, to a random entry) but almost never to the first item beginning with that letter.

2) Scrolling up and down is very, very slow (I can have two instances of CATraxx open and the one larger database scrolls quite quickly while the smaller one moves at a snail's pace).

3) About 50% of the time, if I enter something in the search box, I get an error (of course, while writing this message, I can't get the error to reproduce). It appears to be a sql error of some sort. If I don't immediately close CATraxx, I find that it begins to exhibit unexpected behaviors.

Yes, I've repaired the database. Yes, I've compacted the database. Any other ideas?

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Re: Database issues

Post by DougWilliams » Wed May 27, 2020 10:11 pm

You could try Database Maintenance, Update ArtistSort and Update TitleSort.

Also an option, create a new database and transfer everything. Then compact the new database.
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

MSWallack

Post by MSWallack » Fri May 29, 2020 3:07 pm

Unfortunately, using either Update ArtistSort or Update TitleSort will mess with some of the custom sort information that I've used. So I'll try creating a new database and transferring info to see if that helps.

MSWallack

Post by MSWallack » Fri May 29, 2020 7:09 pm

I backed up, repaired, and compacted the database. Then I created a new database and copied everything from the old to the new (interesting to note that the new database was a few MB larger...). I then compacted the new database. I scrolled up and down in the table views and found that they still moved quite slowly. Then I ran a search (just typed the last name of an artist into the quick search box) and got the error that I've been discussing:

An error occurred:
"DAODatabase.OpenRecordset failed"

"The SQL statement could not be executed because it contains ambiguous outer joins. To force one of the joins to be performed first, create a separate query that performs the first join and then include that query in your SQL statement."

You cannot combine these fields in the same search/filter criteria with this search operator.

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Post by DougWilliams » Fri May 29, 2020 10:16 pm

I'm not sure what else to try.
Pondering...
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"