Using a bar code scanner with Catraxx and Discog

Discuss using and your tips/tricks for CATraxx
Barrister

Using a bar code scanner with Catraxx and Discog

Post by Barrister » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Hello,

Has anyone successfully used a bar code scanner to input new additions to your database by manual entry with Discog? I would like to do that in cases of CDs I have not yet opened rather than type in the bar code manually. If anyone has done this, I would appreciate knowing what type of bar code scanner was used and the procedure for doing so.

Thanks.

Gordon K

Re: Using a bar code scanner with Catraxx and Discog

Post by Gordon K » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:33 pm

I have loaded many Bar Codes into Catraxx with a scanner. The one I use is just a generic USB Scanner bought from EBay (quite some time ago) for $A20 or so. Its not a problem, to Windows the scanner just looks like another keyboard. Using it saves a lot of transcription errors!

Barrister

Post by Barrister » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Thanks Gordon.

Question: do you just put the cursor in the box where the bar code is to be entered, and then activate the scanner, putting the bar code numbers automatically into the entry box? I am wondering how it knows where to put the numbers. I have a lot of CDs to enter and would appreciate any guidance that you can provide.

Gordon K

Post by Gordon K » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:38 pm

Yes, exactly. Think of the bar code reader as an extension of your keyboard, where the cursor is is where the typing (or input from the scanner) starts. For me, it has not only sped things up but removed the transcription errors. Those I was good at!