Artist Name vs. Performing Name

Discuss using and your tips/tricks for CATraxx
MSWallack

Artist Name vs. Performing Name

Post by MSWallack » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:57 pm

OK, my fellow CATraxx aficionados, I'm once again redoing my database and I've decided to re-examine how I handle one particular issue and thought I solicit community input to see how others handle things.

Here is the situation. When I entered ABBA, I also created entries for the four individuals who made up the group. One of this is Anni-Frid Lyngstad. After ABBA broke up, she released some solo albums. Most (if not all) were released under the name Frida. So, do I: (a) create two separate artist entries (one for Anni-Frid Lyngstad and one for Frida) or (b) just one? But if just one, how do I handle the proper attribution of the albums she released as Frida? Because the spine of the CD reads Frida and because when I think about that CD I think of it as being by Frida, it should certainly sort under F and not L. But if I tell CATraxx that the artist is Anni-Frid Lyngstad instead of Frida, then it will sort under L.

Conundrums of metadata hell.

(And you should have seen the knots I tied myself in when trying to decide what to do with Máire Brennan changed her name to Moya Brennan and released an album under her new name. Thankfully, I haven't gotten to my Cat Stevens album yet. And do not, under any circumstances ask me what I plan to do about Prince. Grr.

Gordon K

Re: Artist Name vs. Performing Name

Post by Gordon K » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:56 am

The versatility of Catraxx is endless and the options can drive us crazy. Or should that be crazier. I do not think there is a single answer to you dilemna other than saying you do what suits you. any one solution will meet well found argument from another user because their brain functions differently! To met my needs, all I do is use the alternate names field in the lookup view to register an alternate name or even a title (Sir/Lady/Countess etc.,) . So Frida might well get three entries but lookup view will refer me to each of the other titles. But that is for me and I would not argue it is perfect, it meets my needs.

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Post by DougWilliams » Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:38 am

One method:
Frida is the stage name (Artist).
Anni-Frid Lyngstad is the person.
Use Frida as the album/track artist and Anni-Frid Lyngstad with any credits.
Frida would have a lineup with just Anni-Frid Lyngstad.
Annotation 2020-06-03 203441.jpg
Annotation 2020-06-03 203441.jpg (90.05 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Annotation 2020-06-03 203442.jpg
Annotation 2020-06-03 203442.jpg (127.45 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Annotation 2020-06-03 203443.jpg
Annotation 2020-06-03 203443.jpg (75.73 KiB) Viewed 121 times
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

MSWallack

Post by MSWallack » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:13 pm

That's very similar to what I've done and pretty much what I'm going with for now. Sadly, it still just doesn't feel like the "right" approach. Oh, well.

Cally

Post by Cally » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:29 am

My method:
I use the "relation" field. This, in combination with the great "link back"-function, is for me an acceptable solution.

Greets from germany
Martin