Band/Artist Sort

Discuss using and your tips/tricks for CATraxx
lowbudget

Band/Artist Sort

Post by lowbudget » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:29 pm

Hello
I have been reinvigorated with both my loves of CATraxx and CATVids thanks to Doug Williams videos on facebook. I have been a very long time lurker, close to 20 years. I still have my installation discs!!!
Finally here is my very first question. I love the facebook group but you can't do a search there and I have read all posts here regarding the question I am about to ask. It is a multiple question that is linked together, in my mind anyways.
I saw on the video Doug did and I loved how he had arranged his John, Johnny, Cougar, Mellencamp. Kept the artist together in the album lookup view and was sorted by release date. This is what I want to replicate and can't seem to do it.
I would like to combine Ryan Adams and Ryan Adams & the Cardinals to be grouped together and sorted by album release. Many other examples like Graham Parker and Graham Parker & the Rumour, Elvis Costello Attractions and the Imposters and the others he worked with. I would like to see in the album view one artist and then when I click on it, all the albums the artist has done in release order and with the different bands displayed. I hope I explained this well enough.
Now the follow up that is similar.
Example is Andy Partridge & XTC - Fuzzy Warbles. I split the two and would like this album to show up in album view under each artist and not a separate entry and once again in order of the album release. If you are aware of the many projects Elvis Costello has done, I have split him and the many artists he has worked with both as a full album but also on projects that has a single title like The Chieftains: The Bells Of Dublin which he does St. Stephen's Day Murders. Again, I would love this album to show up in the album view under Costello but also The Chieftains. I am not sure this is possible but with all the knowledgeable people here, I assume others have dealt with this.
Anyways this is very long winded especially for my first post. I would appreciate any input at all to this, or just ask for clarification.
User of CATraxx and CATvids since 09/13/2005
Cheers Johnny

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Re: Band/Artist Sort

Post by DougWilliams » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:02 am

Hi lowbudget,

Thanks for the kind words. It's the love of a great product!
Your main question is gonna take a bit of time to put it all together but I can answer one that you didn't ask! :)

You CAN search the Facebook group.
Via web, off to the left at the bottom of the menu is Search this group
Annotation 2020-08-06 055725.jpg
Annotation 2020-08-06 055725.jpg (40.79 KiB) Viewed 225 times
Via an app, there should be a search icon (magnifying glass) near the top. Tap that.

I'll respond to the rest of your post when more time is available.
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

lowbudget

Post by lowbudget » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Hey Doug
The words would have been even more kinder if I had and English degree lol. I meant every word. Now I see you have taught me some tricks on Facebook, wow. Of course I will look into that. I am surprised that anyone else with ADHD hasn’t asked this question, or asked in the way I did. An even better example is Marc Bolan
I would like all his groups showing up together and in order of release but also separate:
John's Children
Tyrannosaurus Rex
T. Rex
Marc Bolan
Perhaps I am asking too much, but why not try and see using the combined knowledge of the community.
I will search around and look forward to your answer when you have time, or input from anyone else.
Thanks
Cheers Johnny

DougWilliams
Site Admin

Post by DougWilliams » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:08 pm

Hi lowbudget,

I've pondered, tested, simmered, folded, and mutilated (okay NOT the last two) ideas as to get the results as to what I interpreted you wanted.

I couldn't do it.

I used The Moody Blues and the solo works from the various members and I could not get them to group together under "The Moody Blues" and yet keep their individual identity.

Using the Lineup and Related To features would help via Explorer Templates but does not group them together.
Record Collector
"You Mean I'm Supposed To Listen To 'Em?!?!?!?"

lowbudget

Post by lowbudget » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:24 am

Well Doug, this is more then I expected since you are a user just like the rest of us, wish Fredrik would come back just for this one fix lol. I hope he is doing well and regardless be should be proud of what he left behind. In my own personal record collection I would sort with the Marc Bolan idea as I did in my store, not so much the Moody Blues cause they had some success as solo artists and people would expect to find it under their name. That being said, what a wonderful idea of clicking on the Moody Blues and all their albums and solo projects pop up along with collaborations such as a one time performance on someone else live album or charity album. As we age we sometime forget why you have a certain live promo or a compilation with no real perceived value as to why you still have it. Then you click on it and remember why, oh to be young again with that memory I had.
I think I will put the question to the Facebook group and see if there is any responses or ideas. I got some with the alphabetizing one but no real solution.
One question I do have is from your facebook live video. By the way all this is your fault cause it got me excited again and the juices flowing. It all steams from your shot of John Mellencamp collection you have. I have watched it many times and can't figure out how you did it. He goes by the names of Johnny Cougar, John Mellencamp, and John Cougar Mellancamp. I saw you had it all sorted with the correct names and when they were released. I am trying to replicate this and my two questions are based on what I saw and would like to do with the questions I have asked. The Graham Parker and Marc Bolan are similar examples to this.
I really appreciate your time and devoted service to this and the facebook site, I don't think I am alone in the fact if you were not here to help, we would have moved on to another database knowing this one is still superior even if there hasn't been any major updates in years.
Cheers Johnny